12.13.2012

Torched

Rose Whitfield's senior year just went up in smoke. Instead of having a blast with her best friend, her cheerleading squad, and her boyfriend Ryan, she's framed for arson. Popularity and criminal records don't mix, apparently.

Luckily, Rose knows who's framing her: Paxton Callaway. Paxton and Rose have spent years locked in a war of practical jokes. This time he's gone too far. Rose sets out to prove her innocence, win Ryan back, and take Paxton down hard.

Not necessarily in that order.


4 STARS out of 5
TITLE: Torched
AUTHOR: Andrea Lynn Colt
GENRE: Young Adult



Rose Whitfield, the heroine, is everything a senior girl could ever hope to be -- a smart captain cheerleader who dates a tall, lean and deliciously broody soccer guy, and BFF's with the popular girl who literally owns the school. How cliche can you get?

That is, until the arson stuff happened.

This book is really good! This is like YA version of a chick lit mystery. Not my usual type of book, but it kept me entertained. I'm that easy to please.

I loved guessing about the identity of the real arsonist. It was pretty exciting.

Until of course, the initial confession. I was like, Whaat?? It just came out of nowhere. And frankly, the reason behind the arson was pretty dense. I thought THAT was it. So, in my mind, I was already itching to give this book 3 stars!

But then, an unexpected twist happened, and I'm doing my happy dance once again.

I also liked the growth of Rose's character in this story. From being a shallow person, she became someone who is sensitive to another person's feeling. Just goes to show that tragedy indeed brings out the best in people.

Rose and Paxton. Let me just say this: your pranks rocked! Wouldn't like them happening to me in real life (who would?) but I definitely enjoyed reading about them!