12.13.2012

Angelfall

It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco where she’ll risk everything to rescue her sister and he’ll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.


5 STARS out of 5
TITLE: Angelfall
AUTHOR: Susan Ee
GENRE: Young Adult


WOWOWOWOW!!! 5 BIG STARS!!

The first YA book I've read about angels was Hush, Hush; and that doesn't even compare to this one.

THIS BOOK is phenomenal! Hooked me from the very beginning and never let go! It was so unputdownable that I started this a bit late last night, only to sleep past 4am then continued reading this the moment I woke up 2 hours ago. It's like this book took precedence over brushing my teeth and eating brunch.

WOW. Just wow.

This is a dystopian story about Penryn, a teenage girl who is truly determined to save her 7 y/o crippled sister, Paige, from the hands of angels.

The angels in this book are not much different from the angels we know. Though they're definitely not the cherubs type, they were described to have flawless skin and have really beautiful, strong wings -- on varied colors, of course.

Unfortunately for Penryn, she was stuck with a dying angel. A dying angel with deep blue piercing eyes, that is. And no wings to boot. He's one of the fallen, or so they claimed.


Actually, he looks exactly like a gorgeous Olympian champion. It's more than a little disturbing just how much he looks like a supreme example of a human being. I mean, shouldn't an angel that's part of a legion to eradicate humanity look, well, evil and alien?

Raffe -- short for Raphael -- is actually one of the few archangels left. He was beaten and mutilated all due to angel politics. Just when I thought God was supreme and omnipotent.. who knew dirty politics exist among the angels?

He was saved, then kidnapped by a human. And a teenage girl no less! Penryn needs his help to find her way to the aerie to save her sister.

What came next was a bunch of giggle fits directed at Penryn and her illusion that she can stand her own against an angel like Raffe. She actually tried to use the angel sword against him!

"My sword would never hurt me. And my sword is the only one you can wield."

Reminds me of Harry Potter and his wand. I just loved this! Loyalty was tested, and Penryn proved to be on Raffe's side all through it all.

Together they took up a journey back to the aerie with different goals -- for Penryn, it was to save her sister and for Raffe, to find a way to stitch his wings back.

Let me share the lines which made me grin really hard: 

It occurs to me that I might be in the unprecedented position of being able to glean some intelligence on them.

What I would do with angel intel, I don't know. But it can't hurt to gain a little knowledge.

And of course, who could forget about this one?

"Oh. My. God." I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. "You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I'll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That's what you are."

That actually made me super LOL! Oh, how much I loved this book! It's extremely well written and the world building is absolutely perfect! This is surely one of the most memorable paranormal reads I've had. Can't fight this angel cravings! I need the sequel ASAP!