12.13.2012

Sweet Evil

Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


2 STARS out of 5
TITLE: Sweet Evil
AUTHOR: Wendy Higgins
GENRE: Young Adult


Oookay. That was so ANTICLIMACTIC!


Don't get me wrong though. I enjoyed the first half of the book.

It was well written. The world-building was really good, though it came off as plain storytelling from a few characters. But I can't blame the author for that. There's no way one can tell the origin of this angels & demons fiasco without going back to the days where earth wasn't even created yet.

The author gave her own spin to this angels & demons tale -- adding Dukes of sins and their kids, the Nephilims, who work their asses off to bring chaos to mankind.

I even liked the main character, Anna, and her unquenchable thirst to find out who she really is.

 
Being able to hear and see and smell everything within a one-mile radius was major sensory overload. And unfortunately, perfect health did not make me immune to pain.

It would definitely suck to have talents like that and then knowing you aren't exactly a normal human being to begin with... thanks to a fellow Nephilim and the son of the Duke of Lust, Kaidan Rowe, for the knowledge he had so easily and willingly imparted.

At one point, I actually giggled at what he shared:

 
"I had a tattoo once," said Kaidan. "Last year, just before we left England."

"What do you mean, you had 'once'?"

"Bloody thing was gone by the morning!" His voice was indignant.  "Sheets were black with ink. I put myself through all that for hours, and my body just pushed it back out!"

I WOULD HAVE LOVED THIS BOOK. I really would.

But here's a sad thing about world-building taking precedence over character development -- CHARACTERS GET LOST IN THE MUDDLE. I couldn't feel them anymore. This book got so much potential but then lost it.

I should be ending this review here but I couldn't help myself.

Here's a note for you, Kaidan, because you frustrated me the most! ---

Kaidan (Ky-den),

First of all, let me tell you
how very much distracted I am about the right way
to pronounce your name in my mind
every time I glance on my Nook.

To say the least, it frustrates me,
Even while writing this now.

I know you're a smokin' hot drummer
with an English accent;
and your work of seducing the ladies
should earn you a ticket to my swoon-worthy shelf,
BUT you, Mr. Rowe, came up short.

Almost halfway,
your lines seemed a bit off and forced.
You used the word "Er..."
and sometimes stuttered like a virgin teenage boy.
UGH. Where was the hot Kaidan guy I met at the beginning??
Where the heck was he?!


Your fear of your demon father is perfectly understandable.
Unfortunately, it made you appear as a wuss.

No offense.
Though I will be watching your moves on the next book.
I hope you grow a freaking backbone.

Much hate for now,
Your less-than-thrilled reader
ME