12.13.2012

Losing It

Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.


4 STARS out of 5
TITLE: Losing It
AUTHOR: Cora Carmack
GENRE: New Adult


My attention was immediately caught by this book's cover after most of my GR friends started adding this to their TBR pile weeks ago.

Whoever made this book's cover was a genius. Even with the miniscule thumbnail of the book on my phone's GR app, it literally stood out. Translation, it looked really hot. Readers took notice and moved on to the blurb. Then, bam, TBR button clicked.

After reading really beautiful books, I thought the writing in this one seemed plain. In my mind, I was already deducting a star.

After a chapter though, I noticed that my impression about this book has changed. The writing wasn't trying hard to be beautiful. Instead, it opted to be realistic.

Scenes changed at second chapter, and from then on, everything else felt right and humorous. Give me a book that makes me giddy with excitement, and I'm hooked.

All throughout, I was chuckling like a madwoman at Bliss' crazy talk and inner monologues. Just look:


Whoever said one-night stands were supposed to be simple with no strings attached had clearly never met the disaster that was me.

She is such an endearing character. Her awkwardness to lose her virginity is believable. Her unfortunate antics, especially the "Stop! Cats! Stop..." part, didn't feel over the top. Just sort of something ridiculous you think of randomly just to escape a situation. And I'm glad the author included that part well with the unfolding of the story because it surely made me giggle like a little girl.

Oh, and what made me giggle a whole lot more? Of course, it would be Garrick, the male lead. I may not know much about him, because this book didn't provide an in-depth characterization about his past (which I'm thankful for because it would be a bit useless with the plot); still, my heart swoons for this British guy.

The forbidden aspect of their relationship was what made the book ticked, and this wasn't new to most readers. Fortunately, the author gave the trite plot with her own twist.

Most of the reviews I've read about this one complained that it wasn't that steamy enough. And I'm telling you right now, if you want to read this book because of the cover, sorry to disappoint but there are no phenomenal sex scenes here. Okay, just plain ol' vanilla sex almost at the end.

There were so many predictable moments; still, I enjoyed reading this.  The sexual tension was handled well and with this kind of story, it was enough.

Losing It is a quick read, not only because it's short, but also because it is really captivating. While I'm writing this review, it seemed that my smile is permanently plastered on my face. I definitely had a fun time reading this book!