12.13.2012

The Marriage Bargain

A marriage in name only...

To save her family home, impulsive bookstore owner, Alexa Maria McKenzie, casts a love spell. But she never planned on conjuring up her best friend's older brother—the powerful man who once shattered her heart.

Billionaire Nicholas Ryan doesn’t believe in marriage, but in order to inherit his father’s corporation, he needs a wife and needs one fast. When he discovers his sister’s childhood friend is in dire financial straits, he offers Alexa a bold proposition.

A marriage in name only with certain rules: avoid entanglement. Keep things all business. Do not fall in love. The arrangement is only for a year so the rules shouldn’t be that hard to follow, right?

Except fate has a way of upsetting the best-laid plans…


4 STARS out of 5
TITLE: The Marriage Bargain

AUTHOR: Jennifer Probst
GENRE: Contemporary Romance

SPOILERS AHEAD. Read at your own risk.

The title caught my attention. Who doesn't want to marry a billionaire?

I read for enjoyment so I don't overanalyze m
ost things. But wait, one scene made me grin so hard I almost forgot I still have common sense.

A room full of dogs. Seriously. After I got so excited with that scene, I found myself thinking, how the heck didn't Nick noticed there were dogs in there? Not just two, three dogs but more than half a dozen dogs! They bark, aren't they? If so, is the house really that big not to hear canine sounds so early in the evening even if one is upstairs?? Or is the spare room where Alexa brought the dogs soundproofed? If it was the latter, well sorry to say, it wasn't mentioned.


Regardless, I really enjoyed reading Alexa and Nick's story. I loved their witty banters. As a heroine, Alexa has a lot of spunk, and I admire her for that. Nick may be damaged; but his open-mindedness, albeit late, to Alexa's world casted him in a positive light for me.

The writing was really good. It wasn't too descriptive, just gave the right vibe. It even flows perfectly.

I recommend it to anyone who wants a quick, fun and sexy read!