12.13.2012

Ruining Me

Eighteen year old Jay Stevenson is living a horrible nightmare.

Two years ago she had the world in the palm of her hand and in one moment it was all ruined for her. Secrets, lies and the worst imaginable betrayal will haunt her for the next two years, until all of it catches up to her and she will lose the control of the lonely world she has built around herself.

Three guys from her past and present will be there when it all comes crashing down. JT the perfect boyfriend she never wanted to give up, Rhye the local bad boy “rock star” that made her forget the past and Kane the funny and sweet tattooed bartender that wants her future.

Is it possible to change the path she chose for herself and still keep all of her secrets?


4 STARS out of 5
TITLE: Ruining Me
AUTHOR: Nicole Reed
GENRE: New Adult


WOW! Okay, I was more like, what!!! This book was really good! This had been a combination of recently hyped books DONE RIGHT. Thank goodness!

Our heroine, James -- nicknamed Jay (which is a weird name for a girl IMO) -- was a bit slutty. Well, NOT really. Though she used to favor one-night stands. Nice change from the goody two-shoes heroines I've been reading lately.

She's torn among three guys:
- JT, the highschool quarterback and her first ex-boyfriend
- Rhye, the average highschool bad boy and her previous conquest
- Kane, the 23 year-old bartender she just met who was described as seriously fuckable

And with three gorgeous guys like that, who gets my ultimate vote?


He's about six foot two with buzzed dark hair. He's got amazing cut arms and don't get me started on his stomach. One night, he pulled his t-shirt up and he's got a serious six pack. Oh, and his butt? You could bounce a quarter off of it... I didn't know that people could actually have eyes that green and he's got the coolest tats on both of his arms and neck.

-Jill, another bartender friend of Jay

Did she just described him like that?? LOL That's super illegal, like it came straight from a model's profile! Oooh now I'm drooling and totally not making any sense! Team Kane over here!!!

Whew.

Anyway, I really like Jay, the heroine. She's damaged but fierce. And she has a secret nobody knows. But being a perceptive reader that I am, I already have a good guess at chapter 2! And damn, I was right! If not for the conspicuous clues, I would have thought that this has a TSOT vibe in it because of how beautifully the story unfolds.

Towards the latter part of the book, it all came down to two guys though -- and I kept thinking that this is Thoughtless, the shorter YA version.

Everything seemed predictable until after the climax, where it took my breath away.. and I felt stunned by what happened. But no tears to shed this time. I was just plain stunned. This was like the book Taking Chances done right. Like WTF did just happened??!!

I really enjoyed reading this book -- very captivating and angsty! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves angsty reads.