12.10.2012

Obsidian

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


3 STARS out of 5
TITLE: Obsidian
AUTHOR: Jennifer L. Armentrout
GENRE: Young Adult

 
3 CRAZY SAUCE!!

This is the first time I've read an Armentrout book, and definitely wouldn't be my last!

Katy, Katy.. What to say about her? Hmm. I loved the fact that she maintains a blog site dedicated mainly to her recent reads. I liked how she says that she's done with being the pushover Katy, and does exactly that -- yay for the spaghetti scene!!

Sauce and noodles coming up!

Oh, hello Daemon! Sorry, former pushover Katy just threw them on top of your head. But you totally deserved that you.. you!!!

The male lead, Daemon, is as hot as any other book boyfriends I've had. Who the heck could resist those startling, intense, shocking, unnatural, vibrant, rare green eyes?? The endless description just goes on!

But I refuse to put him to my swoon-worthy heroes shelf because I have a love-hate relationship with him.

You see, he's this hot guy who's actually a light resembling a body.. in short, he's a freaking alien. And haven't I told you yet, aliens shouldn't look that hot on book covers. The general public might have this misconception of how aliens really look like. Someone might encounter a little green man with big eyes and spindly arms on the street, and that someone may never know what just passed by him.

So I say, let's boycott the cover because the guy's too hot for words.  Okay, now I'm babbling. Moving on.

This is the main reason why I couldn't connect fully with Daemon's.character:

Daemon was a douchebag to the highest order.

And that was Katy talking btw. Daemon's hot and cold toward our heroine. At first few encounters, that should be the case and I understand why. He needs to protect his sister and his race from the Arum, I get that. But I'm past halfway with the book and three traces later for Katy -- Daemon's still acting the same. That's one sexual tension definitely NOT done right. I was frustrated and really annoyed with his character. I mean, just please man up dude!

Carissa and Lesa, Katy's latest friends from her new school, were also kind of annoying. It felt like the author just added their characters so that there'll be side characters when Dee's not around for Katy.

Annoying characters aside, I actually found myself enjoying reading this.

UNTIL that one stupid decision made by Katy almost at the end of the book which led her running straight to Baruck's arms literally, where she almost died and tantananan! Daemon to the rescue!!. I mean, how stupid can you really get? Humans on this book simply can't fight and expect to live AGAINST a powerful alien who lurks on the shadows.

OVERALL, I liked the plot. The execution, not so much. Felt a bit like Twilightish to me, minus all the glittering vampires of course. I kept bracing myself for some really great alien action, and all I got was a mediocre fight against four Arums! That definitely lowers the rating.

But like what I've said earlier, this won't be my last Armentrout book. I'm planning to devour the sequel soon!