12.13.2012

Taking Chances

Eighteen year old Harper has grown up under her career Marine of a father's thumb. Ready to live life her own way and experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit; she's on her way to college at San Diego State University.

Thanks to her new roommate, Harper is introduced to a world of parties, gorgeous guys, family and emotions. Some she wasn't expecting yet, and others she never knew she was missing.

She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with her boyfriend Brandon, and her roommate's brother Chase. Covered in tattoos, known for fighting in the Underground and ridiculously muscled...they're exactly what she was always warned to stay away from, but just what she needs. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both adore and would do anything for Harper, including stepping back if it means she's happy.

Her first year away is turning out to be near perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.


2 STARS out of 5
TITLE: Taking Chances
AUTHOR: Molly McAdams

GENRE: New Adult


Okay, I loved the first half.. and that's it. I only tolerated the remaining part of the book.

To say that I skimmed when it came to the 3/4 of the story was a serious understatement. So many "I love you's" were thrown that I can't help but think that the HEA should end earlier, and not drag the readers to an excruciating pages of unnecessary details.

And by the way, aside from the climax, one scene shocked me to the point of almost closing this book for good:


"Brandon? Harper?!”

We sat up at Bree’s shrill voice and were off the bed before she got to the room. Taking four long steps toward us, her palm connected with my face before I even registered her hand swinging back.
 ...
 Bree sobs turned to hiccups not long after and she pulled back to look at me, “I’m sorry for slapping you, I can’t believe I did that.”

The corners of my mouth tilted up, “I think I deserved that one friend.”

What?? I know they're bestfriends, and I know that it was Harper's fault that Bree became concerned (for those who already read this, you know what I mean). But wow, that was a real slap, and seriously, WHO DOES THAT? That was completely uncalled for! Can't Harper bring her kid somewhere and just think for awhile? It was completely out of character for Bree to physically hurt her BFF.

There are a couple more shocking twists in the story.. that I think you have to re-read to fully understand because it really hits you when you don't expect it. The author likes to put the characters in the scenes wherein you will be left confused because the said characters knew THE TWISTS first, before you will be able to know.

Oh, and another thing which bothered me.. Well, I like love triangles when reading a story, and I truly respect the author for trying something new.. but when you kill a character like that, make sure that the end of the story is already near. Because frankly, where is the original angst if one point of the triangle is already gone?

When he died, the story should have wrapped itself up. It makes the angst fresh on the reader's mind and heart. It makes us want to crave for more.