1.28.2013

Rule

I had loved Rule Archer since the first moment I ever laid eyes on him. He was everything I shouldn't want and the only person I went out of my way to not try and please. He only saw me as a brat, and an entitled, stuck up princess but worse than that all he saw when he looked at me was his deceased twin's girl. It broke my heart because as much as I had loved Remy Archer there was never anything romantic between us and no matter how hard I tried to convince myself that loving Rule was a terrible idea, my poor heart just wouldn't listen. We tolerated each other, barely and had forged an uneasy alliance until one night I had too much to drink and changed the way we were forever. Suddenly life long secrets were no longer hidden and the one thing I always wanted for myself seemed obtainable as long as I was willing to go through hell to hold onto it.

Shaw Landon was a class act and I had no idea what to do with her. She was tied to my family, tied to the person that was my other half so I tolerated her and her haughty attitude when I didn't have any other choice. What I didn't know was that a short skirt and too many cocktails on her birthday was going to change my outlook on her for the rest of my life. Some people thought I hid behind all my tattoos and piercings, that I tried to distance myself from my dead twin, Shaw saw through it all and wasn't scared of what was underneath. We weren't supposed to be together, weren't supposed to be anything but uncomfortable acquaintances but that all changed in the blink of an eye. Now I had to figure out just how a girl like her and a guy like me were supposed to be in love without destroying each other. Add in her custom made ex and two disapproving sets of parents and the whole situation sounded like it was more trouble then it was worth.


4 STARS out of 5
TITLE: Rule
AUTHOR: Jay Crownover
GENRE: New Adult

I love reading with background music.  At first, it distracts me but when I’m really immersed in a book, I find it soothing.  Then whenever I am spaced out from reading, I find it hard not to relate the book on the current song.

So when I was a bit halfway through the story, a line from a country song struck me the most about Rule:

You know I've never been the type that would ever want to stay
Bring 'em home at night and they're gone the next day
But that all changed when she walked into my life

- Whatever It Is by the Zac Brown Band

Just in case New Adult is your preferred book genre and you still haven’t met Rule, let me do the introductions – you see, Rule is this tattooed womanizer with a seriously uptight family.


And then, there’s Shaw – the gorgeous rich blonde and almost family to Rule’s family, only she has a thing for Rule since she was 13 years old.  Unfortunately for her, he wasn’t giving her the time of day.  And when he finally did:

I refused to be the girl that pined after him, that stalked him, and called him a hundred times a day.

Attagirl!

And oh, Rule didn’t disappoint too!  I’m glad he did not make a 180-degree change in his character right after sleeping with Shaw.

And so, their story goes...

Wow!  I really enjoyed reading this.  How the author got me hooked into her story despite the numerous typos found in the book astounds me!  All I remember is that this book has personality written all over it.  Honestly, I’d love to give this book 5 stars but I won’t.  For what it’s worth, I still believe that publishing a novel without even a solid proofreading is a blatant disrespect to the readers/consumers.  But I digress.

The point is Jay Crownover is simply an amazing author.  I can’t wait to read her next book.  There’s no doubt that she’ll nail it again.  God, I’m actually hoping.  And I also hope Jet’s story goes through proper proofreading.  I’d love to see the author’s next work in its polished glory.

“I swear you pull more tail than me and I’m in a freaking band.  All you have to do is blink and you have broads falling all over themselves to have at it.”
- Jet to Rule

Don’t worry Jet!  You’ll get your love story soon!  I’m effing excited!