1.06.2013

Hopeless

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

3 STARS out of 5
TITLE:
Hopeless
AUTHOR: Colleen Hoover
GENRE: Young Adult

“I never thought I would ever be able to trust a man enough to share my heart, much less hand it over completely.”

Linden Sky Davis. Dean Holder. Wow.

It’s decided!  I will bombard Colleen Hoover with emails and have her name all of my future children! The above names are just honest-to-goodness beautiful!

She’s THAT brilliant! First, it was butterflying. Now, it was live. She has this amazing way of turning words into a perfect unconventionally used term.

I didn’t know that Colleen was a TSOT fan too until that reference at 40%! That probably explains the MC’s love for running and Holder’s constant hounding which reminded me at first of TSOT, male version.

Ooooh, I could run out of positive things to say about Hopeless, but it wouldn’t do the first part of this book justice. Especially after I found out what I found out. The very first big twist, I mean. It was far from what I’ve expected. I was caught off guard. Like, why the heck didn’t I see that one coming??

And of course, the title!!! HOPELESS. I should have known. The very reason was in plain sight all along.

I totally loved the first 2 books from Colleen, and thought that Hopeless is beautifully written too. So why didn’t I give this book 5 stars? 

I crave emotional consistency so much, that by the second twist, I realized that this book did NOT make me feel anymore. Usually with the really sensitive issue portrayed in the book, I would feel empathetic at least. But no, I was kind of resorted to a blunt affect.

The long-winded explanations almost at the end had me skimming the pages. I just didn’t care anymore. The book felt overly dramatic.

Don’t get me wrong though, I still enjoyed reading Hopeless. The second part just didn't captivate me at all.