8.25.2005

I was a "somebody" a long time ago...

Names. Many of us have them, yet what do they mean? It may not be a surprise to learn that names are not simply out-of-the-blue decision our parents make. Let me share with you the origin of my name.

Actually, it was my mom who thought of the name Airah. I reckon she used to like the name Maria a lot. She jumbled it, removed the letter M, added the letter H at the end.. and presto, her first child was named Airah.

Janelle was quite a superficial thing. She just liked it. Maybe for her, it gave a Spanish beat. Frankly, I do not even know if it was really Spanish-ish.

*grins*

I surf the net once in a while and found something w/c caught my attention. It was the meaning of my name. I opened the site, and well.. I was quite overwhelmed by the meaning.

Read on:


You are both a visionary and a realist able to bring your dreams into a tangible form. Pioneering and ambitious you accept new challenges and the responsibilities which go with them willingly. Your sound judgment, resourcefulness and positive nature means that your progress in life is assured. Certainly your kindness and generosity to others and your inspirational manner attract success as well as many admirers.

I was so curious to find out more that when I stumbled upon a site which offer the origin of my name, I eagerly opened it. It says:

Airah was originally used penetratingly to refer to a famous sect of surly, pilfering domestic servants, before it escaped to France with the help of sympathisers.

As I was doing my research, I found lots of famous people having the same name.

Airah Happenstance, once saved by Mr Bronson from Grange Hill.
Airah Dindymene, disgusted by the methods of Judge Dredd; ghost-writer of Richard Stilgoe's posturingly lurid autobiography, YES, I THOUGHT I WAS DEAD TOO.
Airah Tube, champion of Explode-O, the wonder bang dismantler. Airah Quoits-S'Ess (The Celebrated Juggler), named in court as holding compromising material concerning the legendary Source of the Thames.
Airah Lilly Li-Millington, BA, reputedly trapped for seven days under a fallen monument to the evaporating duck.
Airah Itching, MA, for a time, in their own mind, romantically linked with a slightly famous TV chef whom they saw looking at cardigans in Woolworth's one time.. etc!

So you see, knowing the meaning behind my name was something. Actually, this is my assignment for our Theology class.

But you know what, I actually don't know what I was thinking posting this kind of crap. I mean, so what if there's something in my name??

It wasn't as if you weren't a "somebody" too a long time ago... Haha.. ;p