2.23.2013

How to Kill a Rock Star

Written in her wonderfully honest, edgy, passionate and often hilarious voice, Tiffanie DeBartolo tells the story of Eliza Caelum, a young music journalist, and Paul Hudson, a talented songwriter and lead singer of the band Bananafish. Eliza's reverence for rock is equaled only by Paul's, and the two fall wildly in love.

When Bananafish is signed by a big corporate label, and Paul is on his way to becoming a major rock star, Eliza must make a heartbreaking decision that leads to Paul's sudden disappearance and a surprise knock-your-socks-off ending.


4 STARS out of 5
TITLE: How to Kill a Rock Star
AUTHOR: Tiffanie Debartolo
GENRE: Adult

But I’m almost thirty and my day job is folding shirts at the Gap. Have you seen my room? I’m not messy. I’m rebelling against folding."
– Paul, the rockstar
Okay, I thought it's about time I write a review about HTKARS.

The book was exceptionally written; but honestly, it wasn’t something that stayed with me.

From what I could remember, I just wanted to bitch slap Eliza so hard she won’t be seeing straight anytime soon. I know that fear is an incapacitating force. But if one really wanted something done, one should face their own fears once in awhile.

So you see how disappointed I am with Eliza’s behavior. Other than her obvious fear of flying, WTF was wrong with her? Even when presented with a predicament where the only win-win solution is very apparent, she just had to mess things up.

Loring, the supposed third party, said it better – Eliza,” Loring sighed, “don’t you see how ridiculous this is?”

But who am I to complain? We won’t be having HTKARS if not for Eliza’s moment of stupidity anyway.

If there’s just one thing I could love about this book, it’s Vera’s Mother-of-Pearl! Genius! I can no longer read about the expression mother of pearl without thinking about HTKARS!